The Inter-College Debate Competition Held in Feb/March 2017
13 Colleges of Curepipe were invited to participate in this debate competition, and 10 Colleges confirmed their participation.
Some of the debate topics in the first round included: –
This house would pay reparations to the descendants of slaves
- This house would ban beauty contests
- This house would limit the earnings of professional athletes
- This house believes that there is an absence of vision regarding Land and Housing Management in Mauritius
- This house believes that there is an absence of vision in the Management of transportation in Mauritius
- This house believes that Duty Free cars and overseas travelling Privileges are unjustified
- This house believes that our Leaders waste public resources for their own interest
- This house believes that there is too much ignorance and hypocrisy on the issue of renewable energy
Teams from Curepipe Colleges, Hindu Girls College, Royal College, Forest-Side SSS girls, Notre Dame and Imperial College proceeded to the second round.
Debate topics for the second round included:
- Boarding College System is better for Secondary Education
- Cohabitation is as good an alternative as marriage
- Education in mixed colleges is better than in single-sex colleges
- All Secondary College students should perform two years of Community Service prior to embarking for Tertiary Education
The following colleges got qualified for the Semi Finals:
Hindu Girls College, Notre Dame College, Royal College and Imperial College
The debate topics were: –
- We have failed to take the right initiatives to make Mauritius as Successful as Singapore.
- Students should be able to grade their teachers.
The Finals of the Debate Competition were held at Gymkhana Club, Vacoas on Monday 27th March 2017 as follows:
For the 3rd place: Between Hindu Girls Collage (P) and Notre Dame College (O)
Debate topic: –
Replacing the CPE System by the 9-Year Schooling System will not improve Educational Performance.
For the Finals: – Between Royal College (P) and Imperial College (O)
Debate Topic: –
This House believes that the Metro Express is a priority for Mauritius.
The Competition was WON by Imperial College, with each of the 3 team members getting Rs 5,000.
Royal College Curepipe got the Second prize of Rs6,000 and Notre Dame College WON the third prize of Rs3,000.
The unanimous opinion of all the Educators who accompanied the debaters was that this competition gave the students a good platform to develop their oratory skills.
They all expressed the strong wish for this project to be repeated in the coming years.