During the year 2017-18, Rotary clubs all over the world are called upon to ‘to make a difference’ by planting a tree for each of its members between the start of the Rotary year on 1 July and Earth Day on 22 April 2018.
The 2017-18 Rotary International Presidential theme, Rotary: Making a Difference reaffirms that protecting the environment and curbing climate change are essential to Rotary’s goal of sustainable service.
Environmental degradation and global climate change are serious threats to everyone. They are having a disproportionate impact on those who are most vulnerable, those to whom Rotary has the greatest responsibility.
The time is long past when environmental sustainability can be dismissed as not Rotary’s concern. It is, and must be, everyone’s concern. Trees remove carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases from the air, which slows global warming.
Rotary is a global network of 1.2 million neighbours, friends, leaders, and problem-solvers who come together to make positive, lasting change in communities at home and abroad.
Solving real problems takes real commitment and vision. For more than 110 years, Rotary members have used their passion, energy, and intelligence to take action on sustainable projects. From literacy and peace to water and health, we are always working to better our world, and we stay committed to the end.
Our motto: Service Above Self
For more than 110 years, our guiding principles have been the foundation of our values: service, fellowship, diversity, integrity, and leadership.
What we do
Rotary members believe that we have a shared responsibility to take action on our world’s most persistent issues. Our 35,000+ clubs work together to:
- Promote peace
- Fight disease
- Provide clean water, sanitation and hygiene
- Save mothers and children
- Support education
- Grow local economies
- Get involved
We work differently
- We see differently: Our multidisciplinary perspective helps us see challenges in unique ways.
- We think differently: We apply leadership and expertise to social issues — and find unique solutions.
- We act responsibly: Our passion and perseverance create lasting change.
- We make a difference at home and around the world: Our members can be found in your community and across the globe.